An open place for all things cre8tive!
"The QUEST": to find TRUTH
"The METHOD": fearless and open-minded EXPLORATION
"The MOTIVATION": to FIGHT AGAINST entropy
*en·tro·py: Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society. The tendency for all matter and energy in the universe to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Haiti Journals - PART 2

The saga continues...
Join me, won't you?

March 8 - 2005 - On the Airplane - Roughly Noon
"...So I am in my assigned seat, alongside Wil. This is a big plane. The international ones usually are. As I bonked my way down the aisle, toward my seat, I asked one of the flight attendants if this flight would be full. He said, "less than half."

90 people are on this flight. The craft seats 251 in coach and 16 in first class and yet, here we all are... glued to our assigned seats. Wil and I are a bit crammed. In my peripheral, I see the sprawling meadow of empty chairs; room to grow. Room to breathe. But we remain... cramped and trying to achieve contentment. It's not happening for me.

I might move pretty soon. But the doors must first seal, the plane must taxi, and we must kiss the sky. Only then will I move.

Why?

I know for certain that the seats are not going to fill. But I don't wanna make any move. Not until we're airborne.

First, I don't wanna risk the humiliation of opting for the one seat that some latecomer will demand. Second, I don't wanna waste the effort of going somewhere if I am only going to have to move. Third, I don't want to offend the person that I would leave behind.

What are we NOT doing?
It's obvious that this life of servant hood is an empty flight. It is clear that there is room to breathe and try new seats.

- Are we afraid that someone else will come along and belong there more than we?

- Are we unwilling to exert the effort if there is a chance we will have to move somewhere else at one point?

- Or are we worried about offending the one that we are presently seated next to?

By now, we are kissing the sky. The wheels are tucked away and no one else will be boarding. So get comfortable. Try a new seat. For crying out loud! Live a little.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the questions at the end Luke. I know for me that I am afriad I will get in someone elses set and miss where I am supposed to be at. I don't want to miss God. But if I stay in my seat I will be cramped and uncomfortable and won't be able to move. Ok enough metaphors! Toodles!

8:06 AM

 
Blogger Sapphire said...

This post was brilliantly thought-provoking.You're so right.Our fear overcomes the better part of us all our lives,That's just human nature i guess.

You can add me on msn. The id is :
saphiya_@hotmail.com

do u have msn?

4:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home